Thursday, January 18, 2007

.....how it All Began.......



Here is the story of how this all began....a few years back, I was working full time and I wanted a mother's bracelet, I had seen them and just thought that was such a special thing to wear each day but they were so so expensive because I had four names to add. So I decided that i could do it myself...I have always been "crafty"....I can paint, draw and sew and I had made simple beaded bracelets in the past...so off to the bead store I went. I talked to the salesperson explaining what I wanted to do and with her help I had all my materials and tools($100 or so) in a tiny, tiny bag and now I was determined to make this. Well it took a few tries and alot of mistakes and redos but I made it and it was really beautiful...I still wear it !! I wore it to work...the girls loved it....I showed my family...they loved it....I even went to my children's dentist office and they loved it.....so I decided I can make and sell these. I found a small craft show at a local church and set up my table and my very few pieces of jewelry. I sold 3 Mother's Bracelets!! Friends at work ordered them. I started to apply to more shows.
I needed a business card ! I needed a name !!
So my daughter, who had just turned 5 at the time, called my bracelets "pretties" ....and so robin's pretties was born.

Alot has changed since the beginning....I now offer everything from earrings and bookmarks to Soldier bracelets and Watches. I started a website, started a mailing list (over 800 subscribers now) and joined a store. I am very proud of how I turned this into a profitable business. Although it is alot of work. You would be surprised by how much there is to do. From filing the state taxes, juried shows, updating my website, application deadlines (sometimes 6 months in advance), writing newsletters, packaging, shipments, post office trips (at least 2 times a week), and of course coming up with new ideas and making my jewelry....but I love all of it :) Come take a look at all that I have to offer.....

No comments: